To "understand" means to "stand under"

For most General Posts.
Forum rules
The articles and opinions written on this website , might not reflect the views of the site, We do not give legal advice and in no way are we responsible for what is written by our members

To "understand" means to "stand under"

Postby Piper » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm

When I found out that when you are asked in Court if you "understand", you are really being asked if you "stand under" the Court's Authority, I felt that it was a deception, a 'tacky' thing for Courts to do.

I've tried to research where this procedure comes from, but I'm not getting anywhere.

The best I can come up with, is the Babylon free on-line dictionary that gives the following results:-

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Understand
(v. t.)
To stand under; to support.

hEnglish - advanced version

understand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
understand
\un`der*stand"\, v. i.
1. to have the use of the intellectual faculties; to be an intelligent being. imparadised in you, in whom alone i understand, and grow, and see.
2. to be informed; to have or receive knowledge. i came to jerusalem, and understood of the evil that eliashib did for tobiah. xiii. 7.
understand
\un`der*stand"\ (ŭn`d&etilde;r*stănd"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. understood (?), and archaic understanded; p. pr. & vb. n. understanding.] [oe. understanden, as. understandan, literally, to stand under; cf. as. forstandan to understand, g. verstehen. the development of sense is not clear. see under, and stand.] 1. to have just and adequate ideas of; to apprehended the meaning {note- I've abridged the rest - Piper}

5. to stand under; to support. [jocose & r.]

Perhaps someone who is into words can do something more with this.

If anyone knows about, or has documentary evidence that authorises Courts to pull this stunt, please submit it.

Best Regards -
Piper

Re: To "understand" means to "stand under"

Postby poltava » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 pm

hi,

I am afraid this is just another one of those ‘urban myths’ that were started in USA some decades ago and has now made it over here.

They are in the same class as ‘berth’ and ‘birth’ having some connection (built on the delusion that we somehow are operating under Admiralty Law), or that the ‘dock’ in the courtroom is equal to the ‘dock’ for a ship (more Maritime Law nonsense).

What would you say if the judge asked “Do you comprehend?” Which of course is the same thing.

To test the theory of ‘stand-under’ you would need to prove that the Welsh word for understand ALSO means stand-under as Wales and England have the same laws and Welsh is an official language and can therefore be used in courts in Wales.

But as I think you have found yourself, no dictionary will agree with the definition often quoted on this forum.

poltava
poltava

Postby kazz67 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:14 pm

There are already a number of threads on this particular topic, still, I don't suppose it'll do any harm to go over it again.
I looked up the word in Blacks 4th edition some time ago, though it should be noted that Blacks isn't commonly used in Britain (I believe Archbolds is more apropriate for here).
Anyway, the definition given was that by agreeing to 'understand' what an officer has just said to you, you are agreeing to be bound by the statues or legislation to which s/he is refering.

So, whether it means 'stand under' their authority, or 'agreeing to be bound by legislation', the answer is still a very firm 'NO, IMO'. ;)

Peace, love, unity.
Kazz. xxx
We trade natural freedoms for access to the protection of the law. When that access is denied, then the contract is broken and all bets are off. There is no obligation for one side to fulfil their part when the other refuses to. - Slimline66
kazz67

Postby setup » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:34 pm

5. to stand under; to support. [jocose & r.]

jo·cose (j-ks)
adj.
1. Given to joking; merry.
2. Characterized by joking; humorous.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jocose

Meaning its a piss take

JB
setup

Postby setup » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:17 pm

There are already a number of threads on this particular topic, still, I don't suppose it'll do any harm to go over it again.

If the admin decided to sticky one we wouldnt have to.
JB
setup

Postby zenspiderz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Well i see no harm when asked 'do you understand?' of replying 'I do comprehend'. If 'understand' isn't some sneaky legalese way of assuming a contract to submit then they can't complain if i reply 'I comprehend'.
zenspiderz

Postby king-william » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:40 am

poltava wrote:hi,

I am afraid this is just another one of those ‘urban myths’ that were started in USA some decades ago and has now made it over here.

They are in the same class as ‘berth’ and ‘birth’ having some connection (built on the delusion that we somehow are operating under Admiralty Law), or that the ‘dock’ in the courtroom is equal to the ‘dock’ for a ship (more Maritime Law nonsense).

What would you say if the judge asked “Do you comprehend?” Which of course is the same thing.

To test the theory of ‘stand-under’ you would need to prove that the Welsh word for understand ALSO means stand-under as Wales and England have the same laws and Welsh is an official language and can therefore be used in courts in Wales.

But as I think you have found yourself, no dictionary will agree with the definition often quoted on this forum.

poltava

comprehend is in the genera of apprehend......................defintition for understand=stand under ...spot on..........does dictionary say that ....maybe not straight of .......but it is fact.........understand means to agree.......and any agreement is a contract........you stand under a contract......................comprehend and understand the same, i know a dictionary doesnt say that.......they are similar......similar enough to throw a fool off
beware tea chairs and fishy schools...chattel-slaves.co.uk
king-william

Postby poltava » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:45 am

...more dead sheep...

If you want a debate then write better. I don't read your posts because they are badly written.

Sorry.

poltava
poltava

Postby emmanualgoldstein » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:50 am

A good compromise could be reached by doing as zenspieder suggests:

PTB: Do you understand?
Victim: I do not understand, but I comprehend.

The PTB cant then hnestly say that you agreed to stand under them, but then if they were honest we wouldnt all be here eh?
He who controls the past, controls the future; he who controls the present, controls the past.
http://freemanvalley.org/forum
http://freemanscotland.co.cc/ - The Freeman Wiki - its not just for Scots
emmanualgoldstein

Postby poltava » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 am

emmanualgoldstein wrote:A good compromise could be reached by doing as zenspieder suggests:

PTB: Do you understand?
Victim: I do not understand, but I comprehend.

The PTB cant then hnestly say that you agreed to stand under them, but then if they were honest we wouldnt all be here eh?

...and they would be 100% happy with your answer as they have no strange interpretations of 'understand' in mind. They are perfectly happy with 'comprehend'.

poltava
poltava

Next

Return to General