house designs

Forum rules
The articles and opinions written on this website , might not reflect the views of the site, We do not give legal advice and in no way are we responsible for what is written by our members

house designs

Postby madlookin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:29 pm

not my cuppa tea...but it would be interesting to watch the TV license knock the door.
http://all-that-is-interesting.com/post ... roof-house

heres a few more
http://ecobrooklyn.com/hobbit-houses-glass-box-houses/
The Nanny tells the children to play freely and safely...
while locking the doors and taking away the toys....to SELL them!

"If you think you're free, there's no escape possible."

what others think of you is none of your business.
madlookin

Re: house designs

Postby Wes » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:12 pm

"Your honour, I would like to bring into question the TV License man's statement that he saw me watching TV through a window"
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea

••]••••••» ȼǿɲȿƹɲȿµȿ ƒąȼɨƮ Łƹǥƹʍ «••••••[••
Wes

Postby madlookin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:28 am

didn't know where to put this article....so ere it is...
"The received wisdom that ivy destroys buildings has been overturned by a new study by Oxford University.

In a three-year project, Oxford researchers analysed the effects of ivy growing on buildings in five different parts of England and discovered that the plant plays a protective role. They found that an ivy canopy was like a thermal shield, combating the extremes of temperature which often cause walls to crack.

English Heritage commissioned Professor Heather Viles of Oxford University's School of Geography and the Environment to analyse the effect of common ivy (Hedera helix) to guide them in their important role as the steward of hundreds of historical sites. Professor Viles’s research team monitored the effect of ivy on walls situated in different parts of the country with varying climates and challenges.They found that ivy acted as a thermal blanket, warming up walls by an average of 15 per cent in cold weather and cooling the surface temperature of the wall in hot weather by an average of 36 per cent. The ivy was also found to absorb some of the harmful pollutants in the atmosphere. Walls where ivy was growing were less prone to the damaging effects of freezing temperatures, temperature fluctuations, pollution and salts than exposed walls without ivy.

Professor Viles said: ‘Ivy has been accused of destroying everything in its path and threatening some of our best loved heritage sites. Yet these findings suggest that there are many benefits to having ivy growing on the wall. It not only provides colourful foliage but also provides walls with weather-proofing and protection from the effects of pollution.’

http://landscapeofmeaning.blogspot.com/ ... 193161.jpg

madlookin

Postby losecontrol » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:10 pm

hey Mad:
You post some good links on here, when it comes to alternative living structures.
The shipping containers/ woodland homes/ hobbit houses.
To my eyes, these are all vastly superior living spaces, to conventional housing, and cost a relative pittance to build.

PS: you live in a 2 up 2 down i'm guessing:-)
Could you fancy me as a pirate bold? Or a longship Viking warrior with the old gods on his side?
Well I'm an inshore man and I'm nobody's hero, but I'll make you tight for a windy night and a dark ride.
losecontrol

Postby madlookin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 pm

losecontrol wrote:hey Mad:
You post some good links on here, when it comes to alternative living structures.
The shipping containers/ woodland homes/ hobbit houses.
To my eyes, these are all vastly superior living spaces, to conventional housing, and cost a relative pittance to build.

PS: you live in a 2 up 2 down i'm guessing:-)

sorry...missed your post...yeah i live in a 2 up 2 down...haven't always...used to live in a merc 407d luton...for many years,on the road and static....but...changes always come

came here to post this

madlookin

Return to Alternative/Off the Grid Communities