Mike Daisey

Forum rules
The articles and opinions written on this website , might not reflect the views of the site, We do not give legal advice and in no way are we responsible for what is written by our members

Mike Daisey

Postby SilentDiver » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 am

I have recently discovered this guy, who talks a lot of sense, well worth watching some of his monologues.

One particularly of note is called "SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY: COLLABORATING WITH CORPORATIONS SELLS OUT THE HUMAN RACE"

http://play.sydneyoperahouse.com/index. ... enemy.html

Perhaps my favourite line from this is, in the context of work; "If you cannot explain what you do in a single sentence, you are probably a corporate whore" - how true.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
SilentDiver

Re: Mike Daisey

Postby Sidlander » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Was interesting, I liked what he said about bankers inbreeding themselves out of existence and bankers are bastards.
Sidlander

Re: Mike Daisey

Postby SilentDiver » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:51 am

There was an article about his Apple monologue on the BBC saying that the interpreter has claimed that Daisey lied, particularly about which Apple factory somebody was poisoned at, that it was a different factory that Apple use, not the Foxconn one. Well, that's OK then I suppose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17405011

The question is, was the interpreter, as one commenter said 'iThreatened' to say this ? - Daisey has been doing the same monologue for a while now without the interpreter raising this point and by definition she speaks English and was presumably interested in hearing what the show said so why not mention this earlier ?

I only found out about Daisey through various links on similar stuff, not from the BBC web site when he broke the story on Foxconn. As far as I know he's not been headlined on there at all but as soon as there's a doubt about exactly which Apple plant employees were poisoned and disfigured in, there is is on the Beeb saying he lied. What about the headlines about the working conditions there !?! - there is an item in the Technology section from 1st Feb 2012 but as far as I remember it wasn't on the main page like the 'Lies' one is today.

I browse the BBC site daily (amongst several others), not in the belief that it is the harbinger of truth, more to get an idea of how (badly) things are going in the UK now I no longer live there. It's also interesting to see what UK news is being reported in other less-but still mainstream media such as Al Jazeera and RT but oddly not mentioned on the BBC site - for example it took them a couple of weeks to finally admit that there were protesters occupying Wall Street along with much mainstream US news outlets.

Shame about the slur on Daisey's reputation though, but photographs of suicide nets attached to buildings don't lie, and Wozniac reportedly wept when he saw the monologue... guilty conscience perhaps, maybe some details of Daisey's report aren't entirely accurate but I believe the bulk is pretty much on the button, everybody that is even fairly informed about the world knows the true cost of our gadgets - see http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/ and many others.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
SilentDiver

Return to Videos/Radio